- Report to Head/Assistant Deacon– Deacon will assist in maintaining the smooth operation of church meetings. Any needs and/or concerns should be reported to the Head Deacon as soon as possible so that they could be addressed in an adequate manner. Regular meetings are to be scheduled by the Head Deacon to address various issues and provide training.
Head Deacon will schedule deacons to be on duty for any particular week. The assigned deacons will be responsible for the following items:
- In the winter time, they will help with removing snow on sidewalks and main entryways.
- After church services, they will do a walk through of the sanctuary where hymn and praise books are returned to the pew racks and loose papers are thrown in the trash.
- Assist in collecting the offering during the worship service.
- One deacon is designated as the lock-up deacon, and will be responsible for ensuring that the church is locked up and the building is secure after church service ends.
- Set-up/tear-down tables for fellowship and other functions.
- Remove trash from fellowship hall after potlucks.
- Assist greeters in opening door and carrying food for members.
- Escort guests/members to their cars as needed.
- Walk through parking lot during church services, report suspicious activity to Head Deacon, Elder, 911 as appropriate.
- Assisting Elders in providing immediate assistance to needy individuals who approach the church for food, clothing, gas, etc.
Assist with Baptisms
- Filling the baptismal tank (requires coming to Church 30 minutes early)
- Assist male candidates as they prepare for the baptism
Assisting with the Communion Service.
- Setting up rooms including chairs, tables, towels, water, and basins for foot washing
- Restoring rooms after foot washing
- Washing foot washing basins
- Preparing Sanctuary for Communion Service
- Serving ordinances
- Assisting disabled members in getting to foot washing rooms
- Workbees. Deacons will help when workbees are called for the church or school.
- Identifying structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and cosmetic problems, and reporting them to the Head Deacon. Assisting with repairs or organizing work bees for smaller projects.
- Available for visitation ministry to church members who are shut-in, sick, etc. This will be especially true during times of communion.
- It is appropriate for either deacons or deaconesses, who have been ordained, to assist in distributing the emblems and uncovering and recovering the table during the service.